This past Monday was Memorial Day, a day for us to remember those who have fallen in the line of duty serving their country. It got me thinking a little bit as I was hanging out with my friends and family. Most of the wars that those soldiers fought and died in could have been prevented/avoided and those valuable lives could have been preserved. But I’m not going to get into the politics of it or start talking about war stories. I do want to discuss how much like the wars fought in the past and even in the present day, diabetes is a preventable and treatable disease that is killing millions worldwide. We have all the tools and resources at our fingertips but somehow we are being misguided in our efforts to defeat this enemy (diabetes).
Government health agencies and large food companies manipulate, condition and lead us to believe that eating whole grains, low fat, processed foods are “healthy” for us. When in fact the very foods they promote through the media is leading us down a dark road. We are fatter, sicker, and unhealthier than ANY other time in the history of mankind. The numbers continue to grow at an alarming rate. It all relates back to the food we eat and the lifestyle choices we make. Diabetes will kill more people in the next 2-3 years than all the wars throughout history. Not saying that to instill fear or shock you, I say that so you take action in your own life and don’t become one of the statistics.
Don’t be misled by the traditional advise of you should eat “a carb controlled, low-fat diet” to control your diabetes, because the last thing it will do is control it. Know why carbs are promoted as the primary source of food in our diets? MONEY…yes money. Did you know that a majority of all food subsidies (government money) go to corn and wheat producers, not fruit and vegetable farmers? Do you ever wonder why vegetables and fruits are double or triple the price as a box of pasta or a bag of potato chips? Even the animals we eat are fed corn to fatten them up and get them ready for slaughter faster. I don’t know about you… but I’ve never seen a cow, pig, or chicken roaming cornfields for food. These animals are meant to eat grass and food natural to their environment, NOT corn or corn by-products. Feeding these animals corn increases the unhealthy bacteria in their gut, thus increasing YOUR risk of contracting food borne bacteria that can make you ill and can possibly cause death (can you say Mad Cow disease). Plus these animals are higher in Omega-6 fatty acids, which destroy your metabolism, impair your immune system, and increase your chances of heart disease, along with dozens of other complications.
Most of the foods promoted through programs like “My Plate”, the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and the plethora of other associations and agencies are backed by the sponsorship of large food manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies with one thing in mind —-$$$—-. So why wouldn’t these so called “authorities” on health promote the companies & products that are unhealthy for us? The fact is: a majority of the diets and foods promoted and advertised to the American public and even the rest of the world have poor nutritional quality, unhealthy, and slowly and silently killing us. To make things worse, there is little to NO scientific evidence that backs most of their claims on the diets they promote.
Like they say, “there is no business in being healthy”. They want you to be sick. They want you to be on medications. They want you to eat their non-nutritious, crap foods.
Like I already said before, YOU CAN stop, prevent, treat and reverse type 2 diabetes (regardless of what your doctors may tell you). So what are some steps you can take to start improving your overall health and get on the path to eliminating diabetes in your life?
- Eliminate all boxed, pre-packaged, processed foods from your home and diet. If it’s not in the house, you can’t be tempted.
- Start shopping at local farmer’s markets; vegetable stands to get locally grown vegetables and fruits on the cheap.
- When shopping at the grocery store stick to the outside isles. Most of the foods in the middle isles are packed full of preservatives and processed crap that will make you feel like crap.
- Eat foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids – almonds, walnuts, avocados, nut oils, wild/fresh fish like salmon and trout.
- Grass-fed animals and/or hormone-free/organic animals, which are high in healthy fats.
- Avoid dairy, humans were never meant to drink the milk of other animals. Soy, almond, or rice milk is a much better choice.
- Add supplements to fill in the gaps in your diet. Cinnamon, Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Krill/Fish Oils, B-complex and Fiber will all help you with blood sugar control, weight loss, and overall health.
- Exercise daily. Shut the TV and computer off for an hour or two and go do something. A walk, bike ride, a swim, tennis, play hide and seek with your kids. As the Nike slogan goes “Just do it.” There is no excuse why you can’t fit in some daily activity in your life. Plus it will allow you to spend quality time with your family or friends if you get everyone involved.
- I almost forgot one of the most important things, DRINK MORE WATER. Try to drink 8oz of water every 30-45 minutes, which will be about 2 gallons at the end of the day. Water helps with your metabolism, mental function, and every other process in the human body.
Start taking these small steps to reap big rewards in your health. Forget about the traditional advice that you’ve received from your primary care physician… and the American Diabetes Association…because it will likely lead you to become another one of their statistics. It’s not like the government and those alike haven’t lied to you in the past. What makes you think they are telling the truth when it comes to your own health? Just something to marinate on…
Questions? Comments? Anything You Wanna Add?
Leave Them Below…