There is so much confusion and misinformation on what diabetics should and shouldn’t eat. It’s enough to make your head spin! So I decided to come up with a list of the 10 worst foods for diabetics to help set things straight.
1. Bread (White, Wheat, Whole-grain, Corn, Potato, etc.) – Despite what your doctor, dietitian, and the media says bread is horrible for your body and your blood sugar levels. Not only is bread packed full of useless carbohydrates that cause your blood sugar levels to spike but they also contain gluten which a majority of people are sensitive or allergic too. Whole grain/wheat breads contain lectins and phytates. Lectins cause your gut to leak toxins into the body which of course causes your immune system to go haywire. Phytates block the absorption of nutrients (zinc,magnesium) which can affect various functions in the body. To break it down, bread provide very little nutrition and your body was NEVER meant to have it (doesn’t know how to handle it)!
2. Pasta (Whole wheat or durum wheat)- Just like bread, pasta will put your body through the ringer when you eat it. It will spike your blood sugars, make your feel like a slug, tear your gut up, and leave you with little nutritional value. It contains many of the bad things that bread does. Pasta is like breads younger brother but only cheaper to buy.
3. Soda (regular or diet)- I hope some of the diabetics out there know that soda is a no no. Not only is regular soda packed full of the worst sugar of all (high fructose corn syrup) but causes bone weakening, potassium depletion (can lead to heart problems), weight gain, tooth decay, kidney stones, high blood pressure, and a dozen other unhealthy effects. Diet soda is a sneaky little guy, the artificial sweeteners in diet soda trick your brain into thinking you are drinking something with sugar (when you consume it on a regular basis) thus releasing insulin to control the sugar. This in return causes issues with blood sugar control and weight gain.
4. Cookies & Candy-Basically any foods like these. You probably already know they are full of sugar (say high blood sugars) and processed junk that only do your body harm and have no benefit except satisfying your sweet tooth craving.
5. Fruit & Fruit Juice-Yes, fruit is on this list. Why? It contains sugar (fructose to be exact) which causes your blood sugar to spike. Don’t get me wrong, fruit does have vitamins and minerals but not nearly as much as vegetables. Plus most vegetables have a fraction of sugar. Fruit is only good if eaten occasionally/seasonally (in small portions). Not like it is today, where we have access to any fruit all the time due to import/exporting.
6. Peanuts-This legume (not a tree nut) is one of people’s favorite snacks. Most peanuts are covered in pesticides, insecticides and other potential dangerous chemicals that can cause health problems later down the road. Also peanuts are prone to a mold toxin that can cause severe damage when you eat them over a period of time (Aflatoxin). The main reason peanuts makes the list is due to lectin (mentioned earlier) which causes “gut leakage”. Basically poisioning your body with your own waste. Plus peanuts are only a fraction as nutritious as its counterparts-almond, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, and macadamian nuts. So was your time with it? Exactly…don’t!
7. French Fries-Hate to tell you but french fries are not a vegetable no matter what you think. They are soaked in oil (most likely trans-fats) and carb heavy which means high blood sugar levels and heart disease are in your near future. Opt for some carrot, cucumbers, and celery with some homemade sour cream dip.
8. Milk-Milk doesn’t do a body good! Now many will argue with me on this one, but it is true. Most milk on the market today is full of hormones and loads of other chemicals that the dairy cow is exposed to. Plus it contains sugar (lactose) which will cause a rise in blood sugar. You can get calcium from vegetables and alternative sources (soy, almond, or rice milk). Here’s a quote I love, “The Human Body has no more need for cow’s milk than it does for dog’s milk, horse’s milk, or giraffe’s milk.” -Michael Klaper, MD
9. White rice-loaded with carbs this guy is DANGEROUS. Studies show that even in small amounts white rice can raise your blood sugar faster than consuming a cup of pure glucose (sugar). Scary! The worst part of all white rice basically has NO nutritional value to it. You are just eating empty calories if you head down this road. Chose organic brown rice instead (not the instant kind neither).
10. Donuts-I know I mentioned sweets earlier but this one stands in a class all its own. Not only are donuts made with white flour but they are then soaked in oil to fry and then loads of sugar in frosting/glaze coats this beauty. It is the trifecta of evil foods that leads to elevated blood sugars, clogged arteries, and you not feeling so good. It is best just to avoid this one at all costs.
So there you have the 10 worst foods for diabetics. Avoid them at all costs. Your health and your blood sugars depend on it.